Saturday, October 07, 2006

Tops of My Pops for 10/1/06

A weekly look at what I'm listening to, from my Last.fm user stats:
Top Artists for the week ending Oct. 1, 2006
1. TV On The Radio
2. Fila Brazillia
3. Junior Boys
4. Ze Frank
5. Justin Timberlake
6. Scissorkick
7. Meat Beat Manifesto
8. Massive Attack
8. Primal Scream
8. The Meters

Last week's stats were lost to the iTunes 7/iScrobbler incompatibility, but Damaged did come through with a fix as predicted, so TOMP is back now!
,
Got a chance to give a first listen to TV On The Radio's latest, Return To Cookie Mountain. "Wolf Like Me" is the immediate grabber, which underscores its choice as the lead single. Fun video for that one too. (You can catch it right here – thanks cliptip!)

Also got to dig into the Junior Boys latest full-length, So This Is Goodbye, which is simply fantastic at bringing the sexy back to electronica. Not a misstep to be heard here, with a smooth as glass sound on every track that's retro and future all at once. I'm certain I'll be listening to this over and over again.

Speaking of "SexyBack".... Yes, that really is Justin Timberlake in my top ten. The Timbaland production is the star of the show though IMHO. There are about four tracks on FutureSex/LoveSounds that are so musically tight they can't be denied. As far as I know this is the first time Tim's done a full-fledged mainstream pop record; either way he definitely brought so much game I find myself having to defend listening to JT.

Last but not least, I finally nabbed both discs (from la la of course) of The Meters' fine, fine Funkify Your Life anthology. Timeless music for good times – I don't know why I waited so many years to pick this up.

See also:
The 'Tops of My Pops' archives

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bought that TV on the Radio album, and it's great. "Wolf Like Me" is amazing!