Sunday, October 08, 2006

Tops of My Pops for 10/8/06

A weekly look at what I'm listening to, from my Last.fm user stats:
Top Artists for the week ending Oct. 8, 2006
1. Beck
2. Vikter Duplaix
3. John Mayer
4. Andrew Weatherall
5. DJ Shadow
6. Section 25
7. David Bowie
8. Brian Eno
9. Wagon Christ
9. Harold Budd/Brian Eno

Still digesting the new releases from Beck, John Mayer and DJ Shadow, and I will not apologise for listening to any of them!

I'm enjoying all three (obviously for different reasons) but in particular spent the week playing The Information over and over again. This is the first time I've really felt like I was hearing producer Nigel Godrich's fingerprints on a Beck release – not that that's a bad thing. This one's a really hybrid of the silly quirky Beck with the introspective melodic Beck, all pretty perfectly balanced.

I'm enjoying The Outsider for what it is (Shadow's fuck-the-critics-I'm-gonna-have-fun album) and getting used to Mayer's new, more Clapton-esque stylings...not sure if it's made him better or worse in my book.

Also notably wedged in some time for listening to mixes by Duplaix (DJ-Kicks) and Weatherall (Fabric 19), and both ended up surprising me: Duplaix's was waaay better than I expected and Weatherall's was waaay worse.

See also:
The 'Tops of My Pops' archives

No comments: