Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I love la la

For the past couple of weeks, I've been trying out a new CD service called la la. I'll leave it to them to explain how it all works, but needless to say it's a cool system that makes trading legal CDs easy, cheap, and still manages to give back twenty percent of the revenues to the artists. The more I use it and the more I think about it, I'm certain it's genius.

Imagine Netflix combined with peer to peer networking, except with CDs instead of DVDs or MP3s, and you're getting pretty close. Throw in an interface that's like a Flickr-ized version of Amazon and you're pretty much there.

I've put close to 400 discs on my have list and about 375 on my want list, and have already traded around 40 CDs. Very cool.

Membership is limited currently since they're still in beta, but if you want an invite I'm happy to share one of the few I have left. All I ask in return is that you be generous with your own invites when you get them.

2 comments:

Denise said...

I was able to join without an invite through their home page. I am still not too sure about the whole thing UNLESS you have a substantial want list like you do. Since my want list is much smaller I am not sure how helpful it will be. Of course I am giving it a shot for the time being!

One complaint--I wish that you could see other people's want lists. It might help me spark some memory of the titles I would want too!

Unknown said...

I just noticed this morning that membership opened up to the public. That's nothing but good news as far as the la la CD pool is concerned!

I thought it was an interesting choice for them to hide users' want lists. I guess that's so you can't see that I have Bon Jovi discs on my want list (all for Heather of course). ;-)

One of the fun ways I've found to look for things I want is to browse the collections of people that la la identifies as having similar collections to mine -- you can even filter to only show discs you don't have! That way I know I'm requesting discs that someone actually has to trade with me...