Sunday, August 12, 2007

Tops of My Pops for 8/12/07

A weekly look at what I'm listening to, from my Last.fm user stats:
Top Artists for the week ending August 12, 2007
1. The Zutons
2. Underworld
3. Panda Bear
3. Yppah
5. The Field
5. k-os
5. Can
5. Aerosmith
5. DJ Shadow
5. Junior Boys
I finally got my hands on a copy of The Zutons' Tired Of Hanging Around. Quite by accident I saw them perform most of the songs off this album when they played at Coachella 2006. Hard to describe; sort of straight-ahead garage pop...but not. Definitely loads of fun live, and this album's filled with a lot of that playful rock spirit.

Panda Bear's Person Pitch. How to explain that? Freaky, folky, psychedelic and oddly post rock, it's like this year's Pet Sounds revival only as if it were spearheaded by Tim Hecker and Kevin Shields. A wall of beautiful mixed up Brian Wilson-ness for the laptop set? I dunno...but I really, really like it.

It turns out that k-os' iTunes Live Session is a lot more enjoyable than his most recent album. With a nicely paired down accompaniment for an almost-but-not-quite "unplugged" sound, this set really highlights how strong and distinctive his vocals are.

Still loving Yppah and The Field. No real explanation for Aerosmith's appearance in my Top Ten this week other than a maudlin nostalgic urge to hear their Greatest Hits album again. I pledge to fight that urge in the future.

Been listening to more Underworld recently as I'm getting more and more excited about seeing them at Red Rocks in September...

See also:
Underworld tix, baby!
Top Ten Albums of 2006: #6 - "Harmony In Ultraviolet" by Tim Hecker
Sunshine on the horizon
The 'Tops of My Pops' archives

No comments: