Sunday, August 26, 2007

Tops of My Pops for 8/26/07

A weekly look at what I'm listening to, from my Last.fm user stats:
Top Artists for the week ending August 26, 2007
1. Spoon
2. Maps
3. Soundgarden
4. Josh Rouse
5. David Bowie
5. Fujiya & Miyagi
7. Matthew Dear
7. Ministry
7. Luke Vibert
10. Beck
I'm criminally behind on posting my weekly charts, so I'm forced to forego clever commentary (like "Fujiya & Miyagi are awesome" and "why do people like Matthew Dear?") in favor of just catching up...

See also:
The 'Tops of My Pops' archives

2 comments:

mrkvm said...

I wish I could get you to like that latest Matthew Dear album. It's got a wonderful quirkiness to it, and I keep finding new little micromoments to love in the songs. He's drawing from all kinds of cool influences, which I know I've mentioned (and which you probably don't believe). There's krautrock, techno, pop, maybe some Talking Heads, and a whole host of other stuff going on (heck, he's even got a weird country-esque song on there!).

Of course, maybe it all comes down to the vocals, which don't bother me at all.

mrkvm said...

In defense of Matthew Dear, part 2 (I guess I just can't let this go):

I hunted down a few different reviews that probably do a better job than I do of explaining what they think is interesting here. Interestingly enough, a couple of them echo my Talking Heads reference (so I'm not totally off the mark there, I guess).

If I were gonna pick three songs to focus on, I'd say these:

Deserter - Apparently this is the first "single." It's quite downbeat and atmospheric. Lots of nice sonic layers here.
Elementary Lover - Maybe this is a weird choice, but there's just so much great stuff running around in this song. I love music with this many distinct layers coexisting at once.
Neighborhoods - Dig that funky rubbery beat, yo.

Ultimately, maybe, I like this record because, admittedly, it takes some time to warm up to it and discover what's hiding there.