Sunday, July 29, 2007

Tops of My Pops for 7/29/07

A weekly look at what I'm listening to, from my Last.fm user stats:
Top Artists for the week ending July 29, 2007
1. LCD Soundsystem
2. Yppah
3. Primal Scream
4. Ulrich Schnauss
5. Spoon
6. The Kleptones
6. Tim Hecker
8. David Bowie
9. Radiohead
9. Amon Tobin
9. Meat Beat Manifesto
9. Josh Rouse
9. Beck
9. Gang of Four
9. Fila Brazillia
LCD Soundsystem's Sound Of Silver gets better every time I hear it...and that's become quite often. When I first heard "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House" I thought it was pretty irritating. But that's back when I thought these guys were serious. Flash forward a few years to their brilliant second album and I totally get what James Murphy is doing and totally love it. If you're still trying to figure out WTF his deal is, check out two tracks: "Losing My Edge" and "North American Scum". That should basically give you everything you need to know to totally bond with him.

I stumbled onto Yppah thanks to the always enjoyable and informative Scissorkick. It's hard to go wrong with a Ninja Tune signing, but I think this guy is gonna turn out to be somebody special in the electronic(a) music scene. He's been a rock-n-roll guitarist and bassist, as well as a scratching hip hop and house DJ, and took all that musical experience and put it in a blender that spat out You Are Beautiful At All Times. And he's from Texas. Represent!

I have a feeling both of these albums could make it onto my year-end Top Ten....

See also:
The 'Tops of My Pops' archives

No comments: