Sunday, July 01, 2007

Tops of My Pops for 7/1/07

A weekly look at what I'm listening to, from my Last.fm user stats:
Top Artists for the week ending July 1, 2007
1. DJ Shadow
2. Beastie Boys
2. Stars of the Lid
4. B. Fleischmann
5. Massive Attack
5. Radiohead
5. Spoon
8. David Bowie
8. James Brown
8. Josh Rouse
8. The Kleptones
The new all-instrumental Beastie Boys album, The Mix-Up, turns out not to be as punk-tinged as Mike D led us to believe, but it is at least a worthy equal to The In Sound from Way Out! (If you hadn't noticed already, the entire Beasties catalog is now available in the DRM-free iTunes Plus format)

Stars of the Lid just continue blowing me away with their latest, the two disc masterpiece And Their Refinement of the Decline. You'd think that as sublime as their sound is, it would start to sound tired or formulaic after a couple of albums. You'd be wrong...very, very wrong. Self-deprecating titles aside, they just keep getting better at taking my breath away.

Finally, it just doesn't get much better than DJ Shadow's amazing live album/DVD In Tune And On Time. I hope that he's figured out by now that all that brilliance he turned out preceding The Outsider wasn't just "hipster bullshit" after all.

Hmmm. That's a lot of things not being what they seem. I didn't realize I had a theme this week.

See also:
Gettin' stewy with it!
DJ Shadow's new video is Nintendo-riffic!
The 'Tops of My Pops' archives

No comments: