Saturday, December 02, 2006

Tops of My Pops for 11/26/06

A weekly look at what I'm listening to, from my Last.fm user stats:
Top Artists for the week ending Nov. 26, 2006
1. Burial
2. Doubting Thomas
2. Aceyalone
4. Renegade Soundwave
5. Underworld
6. Imogen Heap
7. Tears for Fears
8. Public Image Ltd.
8. Steely Dan
10. My Bloody Valentine
Burial is a mystery. He's refused to reveal his identity, and has barely even spoken publicly (here's an interview from March 2006 – the only one I could find). To make matters worse, there's at least one death metal band of the same name. But this Burial is electronica (dubstep if you're keeping score) and like some of the very best albums, it's taken me awhile to really get into his self-titled debut and discover how great it is. My buddy mrkvm deserves all the credit for bringing it to my attention and pestering me to listen.

Going to have to miss seeing Imogen Heap live in Denver next week due to a very annoying work conflict, but rumor has it that her live shows are even better than her great DIY solo album, Speak For Yourself.

FYI Dept:
  1. The only good thing happening on Tears For Fears' Saturnine Martial & Lunatic album is the spot-on cover of "Ashes To Ashes".
  2. Steely Dan's The Royal Scam album does not hold up well at all thirty years later.


See also:
The 'Tops of My Pops' archives

No comments: