Sunday, November 12, 2006

Tops of My Pops for 11/5/06

A weekly look at what I'm listening to, from my Last.fm user stats:
Top Artists for the week ending Nov. 5, 2006
1. Severed Heads
2. Mocean Worker
2. Squarepusher
4. Massive Attack
4. Leftfield
6. Cocteau Twins
6. Public Enemy
6. Outputmessage
9. TV On The Radio
9. The Meters
Spent most of the week checking out new (old) arrivals from la la....

Been enjoying a bit of Severed Heads nostalgia, especially the classic Come Visit The Big Bigot, and have also filled a gap in my collection with my recent acquisition of 1991's Cuisine (with Piscatorial). Good solid stuff from that period -- makes me sorry I didn't grab it fifteen years ago!

Got a copy of Mocean Worker's debut release, Home Movies From The Brainforest. The guy makes thoroughly enjoyable jazztronica, so if you're into that sort of thing and are looking for a good place to start with him, I strongly recommend grabbing Enter The Mowo!, his most recent and most accomplished.

Found someone willing to trade me their copy of Leftfield's Dusted single, which features the ubiquitous Roots Manuva. The original version appears on Rhythm And Stealth, but this EP includes remixes by Howie B, The X-Ecutioners and Si Begg. In case you were wondering, there's never been a track couldn't be improved by some RM vocals.

Continuing to obsess over Squarepusher's brilliant Hello Everything and am continuing to dig into TV On The Radio's Return To Cookie Mountain. No shortage of great new (new) music this year!

See also:
The 'Tops of My Pops' archives

No comments: