Monday, September 04, 2006

Tops of My Pops for 9/3/06

A weekly look at what I'm listening to, from my Last.fm user stats:
Top Artists for the week ending Sept. 3, 2006
1. OutKast
2. J Dilla
3. Shriekback
4. David Bowie
4. Public Enemy
4. Meat Beat Manifesto
4. Pop Will Eat Itself
4. Spoon
9. Foo Fighters
9. Burial
I'm going to try to start posting these weekly again (here for the first time). I used to do this on my old LiveJournal blog, but I haven't for more than a year.

This week was about checking out new/old discs I've picked up from la la. Haven't heard the new Outkast but I'm doing my best to catch up on ATLiens, Aquemini and Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, all older albums I hadn't really heard before. I've also been checking out J Dilla with some encouragement from mrkvm. Donuts has been fun so far, but no individual track really seems to stand out for me. Also just snagged a copy of Public Enemy's New Whirl Odor and have been enjoying it, but not as much as the first album of their “indie era”, There's A Poison Goin' On.... Needless to say, they're never gonna release another one as good as It Takes A Nation Of Millions....

Burial is another one mrkvm turned me onto, and he's completely obsessed. They represent my first knowing foray into dubstep, and so far I'm liking it despite the minimal presence of anything I'd think of as dub technique. I wonder, is all dubstep dark or is that just Burial's particular take on it?

See also:
The 'Tops of My Pops' archives

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

J Dilla's "Donuts" is one those "works best as a whole album" kind of things. You'd be doing it a bit of a disservice to just catch a few of the tracks out of context.

Listen to the whole thing through a couple times and let me know what you think.

Unknown said...

I'll do just that -- I know I'm not giving JD the proper respect by just shuffling him into the mix.