Thursday, July 13, 2006

Ecto-riffic

The best blogging tool I've found so far is ecto, an editor for both Mac & Windows that supports multiple weblog formats. I fell in love with Fraser Speirs' excellent Xjournal back when I was active on LiveJournal, but that one won't help me here. (Don't miss his essential FlickrExport if you're an iPhoto user)

Ecto does a lot of the things I need it to, like keep an offline archive of my posts, allowing me to construct posts offline, and plugging in nicely to iPhoto, iTunes, Amazon, Technorati, etc. I used it for a few days and then happily paid the modest $17.95 fee to keep it. The only thing I wish it did better was image insertions from a URL. it just doesn't seem to offer as much flexibility as Blogger's own online composition tools in that regard.

I do certainly recommend it, but I'd be happy to hear from you, fellow bloggers, if you have another (Mac-compatible) tool you like better.

3 comments:

phe said...

Nope, from what I've found you're spot on. Ecto is awesome. I'm just waiting for a "good month" to go ahead and buy a license. :)

Denise said...

I need to have a sit down with you because I can't seem to figure it out.

Unknown said...

D-Nice: no prob -- I'll show you next time I've got my computer with me.