Saturday, May 19, 2007

Awesome Mariachis

Forgot to mention that before mrkvm and I saw Amon Tobin the night of May 4th, we arrived in the neighborhood early and decided to have dinner at Mezcal. Little did I know we were about to witness – I kid you not – the coolest mariachi band ever: Mariachi Vasquez.

Seven members, four of them female (I don't think I've ever seen a mariachi band with any female members, let alone a majority of them). Exceptionally talented; in fact far, far better than they needed to be (I grew up in West Texas, so I know just enough to tell the difference). But the icing on the cake was their style: no sombreros, but head to toe in matching crushed red velvet uniforms with gold embroidery, and a look that was absolutely 21st Century. Witness:


They've got a website of their own that is well done but extremely traditional. If you want the real 'MV flava', you need to check out their MySpace page – that's the real them. Needless to say I friended them instantly. :-)

If I ever have a big party, I can guarantee you I'm giving Mariachi Vasquez a call – they're awesome!

No comments: