Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Underworld Live @ the Fillmore Auditorium, 9/11/07

Last night was one of the musical highlights of my life: I finally got to see Underworld live.


Several years back when I was first discovering them, I heard from many different sources that they delivered an earth-shaking performance at Coachella 2003. That alone was enough to get me out to three consecutive Coachella Festivals, in hope of catching something as exciting (which I did). But still I waited for my chance to see Underworld.

The venue was originally set to be the epic Red Rocks Amphitheatre, but just a few short days before the show the promoter moved everything to the Fillmore Auditorium in Denver instead. While that was undeniably a disappointment in and of itself, the show was still incredible. Before the starting the first song, Karl Hyde apologized to the crowd and informed us that Live Nation would be sending every ticket holder a free copy of Underworld's upcoming album, Oblivion With Bells. Nice way to clear the air!

There's no way to describe it like it was, but I can tell you that as far as I'm concerned, it was two plus hours of pure bliss. My pal mrkvm captured the vibe well with a few surreal photos of a surreal experience (including the one at the top of this post). Peak moment: all 3700 audience members bouncing out of control to "Cowgirl".

Setlist:
  1. Dirty Epic
  2. Crocodile
  3. New Train
  4. Biro the Leggy (a.k.a. Beautiful Burnout)
  5. Rez/Cowgirl
  6. Glam Bucket
  7. Two Months Off
  8. Spikee
  9. Nuxx
  10. King of Snake
  11. Pearl Girl
  12. Moaner
  13. Jumbo
(The less said about wretched opener Paul Oakenfold the better. He should be ashamed of himself.)

No comments: