Friday, January 12, 2007

James Brown: 1933–2006

The Godfather of Soul died on Christmas Day, and I haven't had a chance to post my thoughts about his passing before now.

James Brown's music had a profound and genuinely life-changing effect on me. I don't think I really understood who he was or what a monumental impact he had on modern music until I was in college and really started digging into the music history. And just as I was beginning to grasp his contributions to gospel, r'n'b, soul, funk and disco, his sonic DNA ultimately changed the course of hip-hop and modern dance music.

I'm confident there's never been another musical performer to match his energy and total commitment on stage. I was lucky enough to see him in concert in 1985, and I've never seen anything like it before or since.

As nutty as he had become in recent years, nothing can erase the legacy of his countless earth-shattering recordings and performances. Thank you, Mr. Dynamite.

No comments: